Friday, August 12, 2011

Roots and Recipes: Food Choice

         The Japanese side of my family likes to make sushi so they can express their culture through their cooking. My grandparents from my Japanese side of the family specializes in making California maki sushi rolls for special occasions.
        Having these are a treat, because we don't get them very often. The avacado in the middle makes it creamy, and the cucumbers make it crunchy - the perfect combination! It tastes so good.
       This recipe was created by my grandpa, he loves to cook and share his food with the rest of the family. I hope that I can continue to share his recipe to my children, and them onto their children, and so on.

My food is California maki sushi and I will be interviewing my grandpa.

4 comments:

  1. "The avacado in the middle makes it creamy, and the cucumbers make it crunchy - the perfect combination!" This was a very good sensory detailed sentence to include in this post. I like how you also included "I hope that I can continue to share his recipe to my children, and them onto their children, and so on." This shows that you want to keep the recipe going in your family.
    Something you can ask when you do your interview is ask if they make it different then regular sushi restaurants. Good luck with your project! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I like the way that you tied in what nationality you are by saying, "My grandparents from my Japanese side of the family.""cucumbers make it crunchy", this statement is a great use of sensory detail, and makes me imagine the cucumbers. One last good thing was when you said, "This recipe was created by my grandpa, he loves to cook and share his food with the rest of the family", this quote leads me to believe how much your family cherishes this recipe. The only bad thing was,"It tastes so good", this small sentence could have used more descriptive words such as "scrumptious", and in general, more length. But overall, this is a very good Roots and Recipes preview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you describe how this dish is attached to your family. I enjoyed reading about how you describe the the sushi. I could feel and taste all those ingredients in my mouth. I also liked how described your Grandpa's passion for cooking. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dion,
    Nice job of describing your special food and your team members did a good job in their comments, as well.
    Will look forward to seeing the final essay :)
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete